Saturday, August 13, 2011

I do believe...

Anytime anyone says, " I do not believe in fairies," a fairy falls down dead.

hahaha... when I was a kid, these were the best lines for me from a movie called "The Hook".

I really believed in fairies and thought someday one of them will surely come to me. I used to wonder how will a fairy look like, what will I say to her. But one thing I knew for sure was that she'll be the same as in mumma's stories. I believed in their world, the world of beauty and magic, the world of being happy forever and living life to the fullest, the world where there's smile on every face and a glitter in all the eyes, the world of love and hope, faith and belief, the world of giving and not to have desire for anything in return and the world where everyone cares for everyone else. I believed that such a world exists somewhere... probably far far away from my place.

Then gradually, like all other people, I also thought I left my little world of imagination far behind and that I have grown up to be intelligent and mature. From the fantacies of a little girl... I thought I'll make my way towards being a scientist. I started talking of big things, big words... career, technology, system, politics, responsibilities and what not. I started appreciating the work of Mother Teresa and the sacrifices made by our freedom fighters. I loved debating on how to shape this world to be a better place to live in and how corruption is the root of all the misfortunes of the country. I felt proud to be a part of the community that believed in Gandhi's satya and ahimsa, I started getting thrilled about Kalpana Chawala's trip to space and Sabir Bhatia being the co-founder of Hotmail.

But somehow among all these intelligent talks, one day a fairy tapped my back and left me with a note. That's when I came across a quote that kept me pondering over for a long while.

"The law of love could be best understood and learned through little children." ( -originally said by Gandhiji)

The deeper I thought about this, the more strongly I started believing in it. I realized among all the choas on this earth, may be... this is the thing that can bring order. The enemity among so called intelligent people can be overpowered by innocence and ingenuity of a child. May be we elders can also fight badly one moment and then the next moment, get along with each other like best friends without knowing that anything like ego exists somewhere. May be we can take little time out of our busy schedule to build a small fairy land somewhere near us, with all its beauty and charm, all its hope, love and belief. If each one of us tries to make just a single person smile, we can create magic here on this earth.

Well, there can always be a philosopher somewhere inside a scientist ;) . Innocence and maturity can always go hand in hand. After all, someone rightly said... there's no point in growing old if you can't be childish sometimes :)

Even now... sometimes, I believe in fairies. Sometimes I believe in magic, I hope for a smile out of all the blues and make a wish for impossible things to happen.

If you have ever been in these shoes, ever felt the presence of a miracle in the lives around you, if your heart ever... ever made a wish for a thing that your mind knows is impossible, just say it once "I do believe in fairies... I do, I do".

I still don't want a fairy to fall down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your views.

Naan

INGREDIENTS 1 cup all purpose flour 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp sugar 1/4 cup curd at room temperature 1/2 tbsp oil...